Free school meal entitlement
All children aged 3 to 18 at Derbyshire nurseries or schools can get a free meal if they qualify.
- Universal Credit, provided they have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (£616.67 per month)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190) as assessed by HMRC
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
Universal Credit is in place for new claims but existing claims for ‘legacy’ benefits (Income Support, Income-Based JSA, Income-Related ESA, Tax Credits, Housing Benefit) may continue until 2024 or later.
Until April 2018, all claimants of Universal Credit could claim free school meals. From 1 April 2018 for new claimants, you can claim free school meals on Universal Credit provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400. This is assessed by earnings from up to 3 of your most recent ‘assessment periods’.
If you were already receiving help with school meals prior to 1 April 2018 you’ll remain eligible until your child finishes the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2023.
Read more about free school meals guidance for schools and local authorities.
Young people age 16 to 18 who receive the benefits or tax credits in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
Even if you meet any or all of the criteria, families will not be eligible if they are claiming Working Tax Credit.
Applying for free school meals
You can sign up for free school meals at any time of year by applying online here
You or your partner can claim for your children, as long as you live at the same address.
You do not have to fill in a separate form for each child, even if they go to different schools. Just name the child and which school they go to.
If another of your children starts school and one of your children already has free school meals, we can add them to the application you already have. Just call the free school meals team:
- Andy Burton tel: 01629 536481 or 07812 475250 Monday to Friday
- Sue Upton tel: 01629 535743 Wednesday (pm), Thursday and Friday
If your child receives Free School Meals and you need any further support, use the contact details above.