Year 10 Work Experience Week – Monday 11th to Friday 15th July 2022
All students in Year 10 will undertake one week of Work Experience as part of their entitlement to Work Related Learning which will consist of a mock interview day in school on Monday 11th July, two days at their off-site placement with employers and two days in school taking part in various careers workshops. Even though students do not take up their placement until the summer term, we need to secure placements and carry out the necessary checks in advance.
The actual dates when students will be out of school on their placements are as follows:
- Students in 10AD, 10DG, 10GS, 10AC – Tuesday 12th and Wednesday 13th July
- Students in 10JB, 10MB, 10MS, 10SW – Thursday 14th and Friday 15th July
Students are responsible for finding and negotiating their own placement. However, as a school, we recognise the value of Work Experience and will support every child through the process. A list of available placements can be accessed via Derbyshire County Council’s database https://derbyshire.work-experience.co.uk/ There are over 12000 placements listed and details of how to access the site are:
User name: swanwick1
Once a student has found a suitable placement, they must make contact with the employer by letter, email or phone and arrange the placement themselves. It is possible for students to arrange a placement not listed on the DCC website. However, any individually arranged placements, including those in family businesses, must be assessed by the Derbyshire County Council before approval is given. The school will fund all necessary checks for Derbyshire placements.
All placements must have;
- A health and safety Policy
- Employer Liability Insurance
- Fire extinguishers and fire safety policy (which have been recently tested.)
- First aid provision
We would encourage parents/carers to support students in the decision making process by discussing the suitability of a range of placements before a final decision is made.
A pack has been issued to all students which contains the following documents;
- Info And FAQs
- Placement Student Checklist 2022: for students to use as they work through the process
- Y10 WEX Yellow Sheet 2022: to be completed once an employer has agreed to the placement. This form must be signed by a parent and returned to main reception.
- Y10 First Letter To Parents February 2022
It is important to recognise that no placement is guaranteed until students receive confirmation by the school. Please also note the following cut off dates for placements to be submitted on the Derbyshire County Council database.
- Non Derbyshire placements (please note additional variable payments for H&S checks will apply) – Yellow forms need to be returned by Friday 1st April 2022
- Derbyshire placements – Yellow forms need to be returned by Friday 1st April
Should you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact Andrea Hollingsworth, WEX Coordinator on 01773 602106 extension 1032 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.