School Uniform Requirements
It is a condition of attending the school that students conform to the school dress requirements. Students who attend school incorrectly dressed will not be allowed to attend lessons unless they arrange to have the correct uniform brought from home or agree to wear uniform provided by the school.
- Swanwick Hall School sweatshirt or Swanwick Hall School cardigan
- Plain Black traditional formal school type trousers or skirt of a suitable length for school (from knee to mid-calf length). Trousers must be loose fitting and must not be chinos, jeans; leggings; no fashion zips, buckles or studs. The school provides examples of where appropriate trousers can be purchased on our website.
- Alternatively, students are permitted to wear black culottes or black school shorts. Shorts should be tailored (not P.E or cargo-style shorts) and knee-length. Formal shorts usually have two front pockets and loop holes for a belt.
- A plain black belt if required. Wide ‘fashion belts’ and belts with studs are not allowed.
- Swanwick Hall School polo shirt or any plain white school type shirt with a collar. PE polo shirts should only be worn for PE lessons.
- Plain black school type polishable shoes or plain black polishable ankle boots which must be worn to and from school as well as in school. Trousers are not to be tucked into ankle boots. (From September 2022, formal school shoes only will be permitted – this obvious change given the expensive nature of our current most popular shoe, is announced early to ensure that families do not waste their money on expensive labelled footwear. We must commit to a uniform that is accessible to our whole community.)
- For safety and security reasons no jewellery (including rings, wrist and neck bands etc.) is allowed other than one watch (not Smart watch) and one small stud per ear. No further piercings are allowed.
- Caps, hats and any other type of head covering should only be worn in either cold or sunny weather for relevant protection, not as fashion items and never inside any buildings
- Non-uniform items, including jewellery, will be confiscated and returned at the end of the day. For any subsequent issue, parents will be required to collect the item(s) from Progress and Achievement Managers.
- Non-uniform items are not to be worn under sweatshirts even if they are not visible.
- We insist on ‘sensible’ shoes as many ‘fashion’ shoes are uncomfortable when worn for long periods and are liable to damage young feet and ankles. Given the nature of the site, shoes with a rubber sole are usually more sensible.
- Non-uniform tops covering the school uniform are not allowed. Hoodies, sweat tops and jumpers are not classed as coats in our school policy. Coats should be waterproof.
- Any makeup must be discreet and students are not permitted to wear false eyelashes.
- Non-natural hair colours are not permitted. Home hair dying is discouraged so that any errors do not affect learning time.
- False nails or excessively long nails are not acceptable. Nail Varnish is not permitted.
If a parent or student is unsure about any purchase and how it will fit in with our uniform expectations, please do speak to a Progress and Achievement Manager in school who will be able to clarify. The Deputy Headteacher for Inclusion will remain the final arbiter should there be any issue with uniform.
- White round neck or polo shirt, plain or with Swanwick Hall School logo
- Plain black school shorts
- Black games (rugby) shirt (only available from Mitchell Sports)
- Red knee length games socks
- Training shoes
- Football boots
The following items are optional but strongly advised:
- Shin pads
- Gum shield
The following item is optional but useful in cold weather:
- Tracksuit bottoms in plain black or dark blue or black leggings
Students may also wear layers under their PE kit (such as base/compression layers/long sleeve t-shirts) as long as they aren’t their uniform or hoodies.
Kit as above with an optional G.C.S.E. P.E. top.
School Uniform Suppliers:
MITCHELL SPORTS: 72 Mansfield Road, South Normanton Tel: 01773 510231
For examples of the types of uniform items such as trousers etc please see the below document
Please click here for our policies